Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Editorial Report 15A

In this blog post I will compare and contrast between the rough cut and the revised versions of my course final project. The part that comes from my "Rough Cut" will be in the form of a script, where the new, revised version will be via Sound Cloud.

Selection from rough Cut

Hey listeners. In today’s podcast I’m going to be talking about my personal growth throughout my English 109 class this semester. Specifically, in the area of revision and editing.

(Introduction music)

The first year of college classes is all about learning. I mean, all of college is about learning, but I think that the first year is especially about learning things that aren’t necessarily academic. You might learn that you absolutely cannot live with someone up in your space all the time, or that you are actually the biggest procrastinator ever to walk the earth.

So imagine, your first year writing class where the topic of your writing is not some boring, hard-to-read book from at least 70 years ago.

Obviously this is a new experience. Really, high school didn’t prepare you at all for college writing. Your guidance counselor lied to you about your AP Lit classes. I mean sure you could write a 5 paragraph essay in 45 minutes, but could you look back at it and pick out every single thing that you did wrong and then make it better?

I learned very quickly that I sucked at revision. I learned that I was lazy when it came to my writing. But not only was I lazy, I was afraid to be held accountable for what I put down on paper. I wasn’t confident in my writing ability. This podcast today is about my revision transformation as I went from never-ever to passionate editor, and as a result, a much better writer, and someone who was proud of their work.

Re-Edited Selection

My re-edited version can be found here.

Author Response

  • The content of my project changed because I added in some things like sound effects and transitions. I think that these additions to the content will make my project more entertaining overall.

  • The form changed when I re-edited it because I ended up adding in more of the genre conventions, including a short introduction that says what the podcast is about and a transition into the podcast itself. I think this presents the content more effectively because it helps the podcast stick to the genre conventions as well as makes it more entertaining. 


No comments:

Post a Comment