Friday, April 1, 2016

Peer Review for Emily Bond

Writing in My Future Career

by Emily Bond

After reading Emily's rough draft, I decided that doing a peer review on form would be most helpful to her. Emily's project is a standard college essay, a genre that I am extremely familiar with, so I feel like not only will I be able to help Emily with her project, but I will also be able to help myself with my project. I will be helping her with her as much as I can with the form of her project.

Peer Review on Form

Emily's rough draft using the genre conventions of the standard college essay pretty well overall. The content from her sources feels like its missing entirely from the project, however. Her essay has very few citations, and I feel like it would really help give her some credibility if she added a few more of these citations into the project itself. You can tell she did research because she seems knowledgeable, but it would be a good idea for her to use citations.

As with an standard essay, the best way to put in information about the sources that you use for your writing is to use quotes. I think that having both quotes from her interviews and her sources would really help to make the project more interesting.

Author Response

I think I helped the author with my feedback because sometimes when you're writing you just get stuck on how to do something and it's always nice to have advice from another person about how you can do something more effectively. In my case, I gave her a little bit of advice about how to put quotes into her writing, as well as how to make herself seem more credible with some citations.

In class we talked about how important the genre conventions are. When I told Emily that she should include both citations and quotes I was helping her out with figuring out how to use the genre conventions in her work. We also talked about how the author makes an appeal to ethos by establishing themselves as a credible source. Adding in citations would certainly do that.

The one thing that I really liked from Emily's project was the fact that it was so personal. Emily told more of a story than all of the other essays and projects that I reviewed. She really told a story about her life while writing it and that made it a really good and really interesting project to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment